top of page
LASER HAIR REMOVAL
PRE & POST TREATMENT CARE
BEFORE YOUR TREATMENT
Follow these guidelines unless your laser technician directs otherwise:
• Do not use any topical products that cause photosensitivity (e.g. hydroxy acids, salicylic acid, retinols, and benzoyl peroxide) in the treatment areas for three days before treatment. Use a gentle cleanser and lotion on treated areas.
• Avoid sun exposure to the treatment area, and do not use UV tanning beds at all for two weeks before treatment. Be sure to use a recommended broad-spectrum mineral sunblock with an SPF of 30 or above on a daily basis (rain or shine).
• Follow instructions regarding all oral prescription medications that we provided at your medical laser consultation. If you are taking any new or different medications, including antibiotics, contact our office prior to your appointment.
• Do not have Botox injections, dermal filler injections, chemical peels or microdermabrasion in the treatment area for at least 14 days before laser hair removal.
• We ask that you are freshly showered or bathed with completely clean skin, without lotions, oils, creams or fragrances of any kind before coming in.
• Any treatment areas should be shaved completely prior to treatment. Legs should be shaved around 24 hours prior to your appointment to avoid irritation. Do not wax, tweeze, epilate or use chemical depilatories for two weeks before treatment, or at all in between laser treatments. Since the laser targets the root of the hair, it must be present for the treatment to be effective. Shaving is the only form of hair removal recommended during the course of your treatments.
AFTER YOUR TREATMENT
Redness & Bumps are normal: Immediately after your treatment, redness & bumps at the treatment area are common; these may last up to 2 hours or longer. It is normal for the treated area to feel like a sunburn for a few hours. You should use a cold compress if the sensitivity continues. If there is any crusting, apply an antibiotic cream. Darker pigmented skin may have more discomfort than lighter skin & may persist longer.
Cleanse the area treated gently. The treated area may be washed gently with a mild soap. Skin should be patted dry & not rubbed during the first 48 hours.
No makeup & lotion/moisturizer/deodorant for the first 24 hours. Keep the treated area clean & dry, if further redness or irritation persists, skip your makeup & moisturizer, & deodorant (for underarms) until the irritation has subsided.
Dead hairs will begin to shed 5-30 days after your treatment.
Stubble, representing dead hair being shed from the hair follicle, will appear within 5-30 days from the treatment date. that is normal & they will fall out quickly.
Exfoliate to speed up hair shedding. Anywhere from 5-30 days after the treatment, shedding of the hair may occur & this may appear as new hair growth. It is not new hair growth, but the dead hair pushing its way out of the follicle. You can help the hair come out by washing with a washcloth or a Shobha® Exfoliating Cloth (sold at LH) & shaving.
Avoid the sun. Avoid sun exposure to reduce the chance of dark or light spots for 2 months. Use sunscreen (SPF 25 or higher) at all times throughout the treatment period & for 1-2 months following.
Do not pick/scratch/wax/thread/tweeze the area. Avoid picking or scratching the treated skin. do not use any other hair removal methods or products, other than shaving, on the treated area during the course of your laser treatments, as it will prevent you from achieving the best results.
Hair growth varies. On average, most will experience a level of hairless happiness after 6-9 sessions which will result in not even checking for stubble (yes, it’s life-changing!).
bottom of page